Pages

Thursday 7 September 2017

English - Scuba Diving in Fiji

Image result for fiji plantation island diving
Scuba Diving in Fiji

I was sitting on the edge of the boat, ready to throw myself back into the unknown. Ready to face a big challenge. I could see the vast, blue ocean stretched out in front of me. I was waiting for the sign to go. I was shaking, letting my thoughts get to me, about every bad thing that could happen. On a boat full of Fijian professional Scuba instructors, I could hear the wave crashing against the boat making it sway from side to side with the mumbling of the Fijian trying to tell us what to do when we are in the water.
I thought about it, what if I landed on a fish or there is a shark in the water or a sting ray. I was shaking, worrying about what I had got myself into. I felt the water splashing up against my face as I sat looking into the water praying nothing bad happens.


I put the regulator in my mouth and breathed in the compressed air which tastes funny. I was sitting about to fall in breathing heavily into the regulator looking at the instructor telling me what to do. I thought of backing out but I knew if I did I would regret straight away, missing out on a once in a lifetime view of the underwater life, I told myself I would do it.


Splash! I hit the water with a thud, I panicked and stop breathing for a moment, looking around to see where I was. My heart was beating as fast as lightning. I could see for over 30 metres ahead of me in the distance colours flashing past each other. It was beautiful. Colourful Corals and Tropical fish. I swam to the back of the boat looking down at all the pretty creatures swimming around me.


Once everyone was in we swam down to the sea floor and took photos with all the amazing coral. I was so happy that I did it because it was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen. I swam with the tropical fish and see how lovely the underwater life really is. I could feel the bubbles that I was blowing out of my regulator rushing past my ears. The heat of the sun warming the Pacific Ocean reminded me of a safe place.

I learnt that it is okay to be scared of trying something new, but it won’t always end in a disaster it could be the best thing you have ever done. When amazing opportunities come your way take them with both hands and use them to your advantage.

4 comments:

  1. I like how you explained how you were feeling in detail. When you said stingray, it reminded me of a fishing trip where i snagged a stingray, what you could work on for next time is some grammar. For example, when you said "What if I landed on a fish or there 'is' a shark in the water or a sting ray." Instead of using is you could use was so it flows with the pattern of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that advice, I will take that into consideration next time to help my story flows.

      Delete
  2. I like how you described what it was like in the water, it painted an amazing picture in my head. "...in the distance colours flashing past each other. It was beautiful." This reminds me of the colourful corals in my book. You could try keeping it in the same tense to improve the picture you paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I will use that next time!

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.